Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Idiot Chef, Day 7: Pan Chicken

I can't claim credit for this, as it came from my esteemed co-blogger (who has yet to utter a peep in public). But the good thing about this is that it is infinitely versatile. Cook garlic and onions in oil, sear meat in the result, then make sauce from "drippings," add veggies, finish meat, add pasta, and Poof! Instant meal.

So, this is the particular variation of tonight:

Egg noodles
Beef broth
Salt
Chicken, bite-size
Garlic
Butter
Scallions
Veggies (I used snow peas, carrots, and mushrooms, but anything works)
Cornstarch (if needed; I'll explain in a bit).
Dry mustard
Cayenne pepper

Cook noodles in broth and salt. While noodles are cooking, caramelize garlic and scallions in melted butter over low heat. Add mustard and cayenne, raise heat to high, add chicken. Sear chicken and remove from pan. Drain pasta into pan, add another half stick of butter, and veggies. If the sauce doesn't thicken, add cornstarch. Add veggies, cook until crisp, add chicken and pasta. Cook until the chicken is done. Serve.

Verdict: this was so good I didn't bother to get a plate. I ate directly from the pan, and that way I prevented having to share with my roommate. Holy crap this was the best thing I've made so far. You must try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment